Bots have limited use on Public Test Wiki in that virtually anyone can request either the administrator tools or the bureaucrat bit, which, among other things, include the ability to bypass rate-limiting edit restrictions. Moreover, any bureaucrat can add themselves or another user to the bot group, for testing and to prevent flooding; however, after testing, please remember to remove your access.
Bots have the following permissions:
- Be treated as an automated process
- Edit pages protected as "Allow only autoconfirmed users"
- Have one's own edits automatically marked as patrolled
- Not be affected by IP-based rate limits
- Not create redirects from source pages when moving pages
- Not have minor edits to discussion pages trigger the new messages prompt
- Perform CAPTCHA-triggering actions without having to go through the CAPTCHA
- Quickly rollback the edits of the last user who edited a particular page
- Use higher limits in API queries
- Use of the write API
To request to operate a full bot account, please make a request here. Any bureaucrat or consul will review your request for completeness and your attached source code for potential problems, errors, or vulnerabilities. While any bureaucrat can approve bot accounts, it's recommended that they do so only if they are a proficient computer programmer with the expertise to perform detailed code review; otherwise, they should simply leave the request for a consul to review and either (a) approve or (b) decline.